Thursday, August 13, 2009

Okay.....Seriously!!!!

I can't win! What was supposed to be a productive night turned into an absolutely unproductive evening thanks to a certain individual.

Remember yesterday's adventure with the poison ivy? If not, you can read about it here. Well, I can now top that story. Our bulldog puppy, Rooney, thought it would be a genius idea to eat the poison ivy. Yes ladies and gentlemen, my dog ate poison ivy that had Round Up sprayed on it and didn't see anything wrong with this! Stupid dog!

I immediately freaked out and rightfully so! I jumped on the computer and called my friend who used to be a vet tech at our vet's office until she moved away. Between the two of us we found that poison ivy is on the dog's list of toxic plants if ingested. After this piece of info I knew what I had to do and it wasn't pleasant or pretty.

There I was sitting on our deck shooting syringe's full of hydrogen peroxide down Rooney's throat to induce vomiting. All I had was a 3mL syringe so it took a LOT (they recommend to use a turkey baster so that you can get it all down in attempt but I couldn't find our turkey baster). It took three rounds of this process before I was satisfied that everything was out of his stomach. Afterwards I had the pleasure of spraying down the deck and giving Rooney a bath.

The worst part about the entire situation was the sheer look of terror in poor Rooney's eyes when I would try to get the hydrogen peroxide down his throat. I broke down several times and just sat there and cried because I felt so awful but I knew that I was doing what had to be done. Luckily, dogs forgive quickly. By the time I gave him a bath and fed him a slice of bread he was ready to jump into bed and cuddle with me. Only a dog could forgive that quickly!

Needless to say, nothing was accomplished on my to-do list and I didn't sleep last night. Hopefully today is more productive. I told the dogs that last night was strike two and if they got to strike three I would be dropping them off at the pet lodge early....lol.

I did decide last night that I am not going to tie bows around the bubbles. I tied one bow to see how it would look and I wasn't really that impressed with the outcome. Plus, the ribbon is a pain in the butt to tie onto the bubbles. So, I guess I can cross that item off of my list! :-)

Here's to a better day!!! At least it is Thursday! :-) As long as the dogs behave themselves I will be back to wedding related posting tomorrow!
I think his cute little squishy face is to make up for his stupidity! I love him but I was ready to kill him last night once I knew he was going to be alright! Aish!

9 comments:

Nicole-Lynn said...

Oh my goodness, girl! I can't believe your dog! I am SO glad he's ok though. I bet you were one worried momma!

jessica lynn said...

whelp, now I know what I'm getting you for your bridal shower this weekend...a turkey baster!! haha. come to think of it, when it got down to the wire for our wedding i sat down to tie the ribbons around the bows and they looked floppy and stupid (and it was tedious with such thin ribbon) that i gave up too! it was such a proud moment, to be able to step back from tying the bows on the bubbles and be OK with them being plain! and seriously, they just get thrown away in the end! :) haha.

TheRoddyBride said...

Aw, I am so glad your poochie is better.

My parent's dog did something quite stupid before as well. He ate a lot of aluminum foil and it made him so sick. You could tell how sick he was because my Mom was able to hold him to her shoulder like a baby and this dog never wanted to be picked up (usually). He threw up like 13 times in a few hours. Our vet suggested, white rice and ground beef. Low and behold, it worked and worked fast. The worst part? Days later we saw him with more aluminum foil in his cage (dummy)! They really never learn, lol.

sarah said...

Oh goodness! What an ordeal!

My Dream Ring said...

Well bless his little heart, I am glad he is going to be ok. Your were lightning fast and very smart, i think i would have freaked and drove to the vet, costing tons of money.

P.S. They are adorable!

Nicole said...

awe!!! omg!! Hope things get better!!

Ms2Mrs said...

My little buddy did something similar. She threw her self a party after a big football win. On her menu was: Sour Cream and Onion Baked Lays, an entire bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms. I had to do the peroxide trick and I broke down many times. I'm glad everything worked out for the best.

Tina <3 said...

Ahhh i can totally sympathize with you. Our two dogs (both under ten lbs) decided at christmas to eat a whole bag of peanut better eggs. choc cookies, and hershey kisses. Our vet also advised me to give them peroxide. It was horrible and i was in tears and freaking out.
So glad your baby is ok. They are adorable!!!!!

PDX Bride said...

I am so glad you dog is ok! Although I must say I am so jealous that you have two bulldogs and I have none! I have wanted a bulldog for years, and we are still living where we cant have one!