Cooking More and Eating Healthier: Part 523,345

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have jumped on the "I'm going to try to cook more/eat healthier" bandwagon just to fall right off and face plant.  Probably more times than I would like to admit to. My biggest issues excuses:
  • When I get home from work, unless there is a meal planned with all the ingredients ready to go, I tend to come with excuses not to cook.  
  • Even when there is a meal planned, Hubs or I will decide that it no longer sounds that great.
  • I always tell myself that I will wake up a little earlier in the morning to pack my lunch.  After hitting the snooze button 5 times and running around like a batshit crazy woman to get out the door for work, my lunch becomes nonexistent.  
  • When I do buy fruit and vegetables for lunch and dinner it sometimes goes to waste because I forget that it is there.  Or when I do remember that it is in the fridge I don't feel like/don't have time to cut it up.
As we can see, the root of my problem is:
  1. Lack of preparation
  2. Laziness
So, I finally put my foot down and said that I am going to change my ways!  Hubs and I created a few excel spreadsheets to help us.  Spreadsheet #1 - we wrote down every meal we have made in the past (let me tell you, that is a pretty short list). Eventually we will go back through and categorize every meal so that we can sort the list by different criteria.  We are AWESOME HUGE NERDS!  Spreadsheet #2 - we then picked out four meals that sounded good for the week ahead.  Only four you ask? Baby steps people! Baby steps! Plus, we always go out to dinner with my parents one night a week.  Under each meal I wrote down the ingredients I would need for said meals. Spreadsheet #3 - my grocery list. 

While grocery shopping I also picked up an assortment of fresh fruit.  As soon as I got home I started cutting, cleaning and dividing all the fruit into individual containers that we could just grab a container out of the fridge for our lunch.


 Doesn't this look yummy!?  Watermelon, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries.
 All my containers prior to putting them in the fridge.

So, how did Day 1 of cooking more and eating healthier go?!? GREAT!
For dinner last night I made lemon pepper chicken, rice, and Irish potatoes. I put the leftovers in a container for lunch today.  This morning I grabbed the leftovers and a container of fruit to take to work with me for lunch.  I EVEN did all the prep work for tonight's dinner last night (Shish kabobs, corn on the cob, wild rice, and Gorgonzola bread.....mmmmmm)! Who is this girl?!?  

Hopefully this trend continues......fingers crossed! :-)

Have a fabulous Tuesday! 

Comments

JennyLee said…
Preparation changes everything! I'm on the bandwagon for the 3458734 time as well. :)
Hilary said…
I'm the same way! Josh and I decided to meal plan for the first time two weeks ago, and we picked out three meals for two weeks (we were both working nights a lot), and we ended up only making one of the meals, but at the end of the day, we were able to piece together some healthier stuff to eat on the run based on the things I had bought to make meals with than just throwing pasta on the stove - our go to. I really feel like meal planning saves $$, so I really want to stick with it! If you have any more tips or tricks along the way, I definitely want to hear about them!
Nicole-Lynn said…
Girl, what did I miss? When did you start blogging again? lol Glad to see you back at it! I'll be sure to keep you in my reader!
Hi, as a visitor I would like to say thanks for sharing this healthy living experiences.
Ideally, wives should know how to cook. I know at first it may sound offensive but the truth is we must. They say, “A way to man’s heart is through his stomach.” And that’s already tested and proven a couple of times. Anyway, it’s not the end of everything. There is still time so go get it!

Online PhD in Education
Hello! I would like to open cosmetology salon. Do you have an experience in this business? There are too many options in beauty salon equipment. Could you give me an advise? What companies are more reliable to buy Cellulite vacuum therapy machine and rf for face slimming?

Popular Posts